To apply, submit your resume, and cover letter answering the questions at the end of these instructions.
Project: Clean Works
Position: Recovery Coach
Reports To: Clean Works Program Manager
Salary: $12-16 per hour
Status: Full-Time (approximately 30-40 hours/week)
The mission of the Grand Rapids Red Project is to improve health, reduce risk and prevent HIV in the greater Grand Rapids metropolitan service area. More specifically we seek to provide access to the knowledge, tools, information and support that people need to stay healthy, and begin making any positive change in their own lives and in their communities. We accomplish our mission through providing direct client service delivery and advocacy through the Clean Works Comprehensive Harm Reduction Program, Bar and Community Outreach, the Positive Choices support group, and HIV and hepatitis C counseling, testing and referral.
People who inject drugs in Kent County face a myriad of health issues, including but not limited to HIV, Hepatitis C, and overdose. Overdose is a leading cause of injury related death in Kent County, Hepatitis C affects over 10,000 people, and HIV remains a public health issue. The Clean Works program utilizes a harm reduction approach to decrease negative consequences of drug use, through mobile outreach and our downtown fixed site location. On a yearly basis, we reach over 850 out of treatment individuals who inject drugs, providing access to the tools they need to stay healthy and to stay alive. Through services provided at Red Project we meet many of the immediate health related needs of our clients; through partnerships and effective referrals to other local service providers, we could meet more. Many of our clients have physical and behavioral health related needs beyond what can be met in a 15-minute exchange/educational session. We are seeking an individual with lived experience, with a recovery coach certification or willing to receive one, to walk alongside clients of our Clean Works program, providing them with options for how to improve their health and wellbeing, and then assisting them in making any positive change as they define that for themselves.
• Provide targeted outreach through Clean Works and Mobile Health Unit sites to out of treatment individuals who inject drugs. Develop and build trust in communities served by the Clean Works program. Assist in program management.
• Assess clients for readiness to engage in service delivery outside the scope of the Clean Works program. Provide options for clients to improve their health and well being, including but not limited to basic needs, methadone maintenance, suboxone, drug treatment, physical and behavioral health, food, shelter, support groups, and counseling. Assist clients in identifying which option will work for them. Walk clients through the referral process in accessing service delivery outside the Clean Works program.
• Work one on one with clients to set goals in achieving any positive change as they define it for themselves, to assess progress in achieving goals, and to redefine goals if necessary, in a client centered manner. Work with client to remove barriers to achieving any positive change. Document the process.
• Assist in creating a supportive environment through the Clean Works program, in which Recovery is an individually defined concept, and all paths towards it are encouraged. Share personal recovery journey as needed.
• Provide individualized HIV and hepatitis C risk reduction counseling and testing sessions on an as needed basis.
• Facilitate individual and group overdose trainings on an as needed basis.
• In cooperation with Overdose Program Manager, manage and staff Clean Works outreach sites (Monday and Thursday 6-8pm, Wednesday 5-7pm, Friday 3-6:30pm, Saturday 2-5pm).
• Availability to provide in-office (2 scheduled days a week) and in-the-field (2 scheduled days a week) recovery coaching sessions.
• Assist in daily Red Project office activities from 401 Hall SE.
Email your resume and cover letter answering the questions below to:
firstname.lastname@example.org OR in person or through post to:
401 Hall St SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49507.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed through Friday, January 11.
1. Define recovery…
2. Please tell us about your personal recovery story…
3. How do you see recovery fitting into syringe access and harm reduction?
4. Tell us about what resources are available in Grand Rapids that you will frequently connect participants to.
5. Please tell us a little bit about your professional experience, and how it relates to being a Recovery Coach at Red Project.
6. Tell us about your vision for this position at Red Project, and what change you would like to make in the world